Gangaramaya Viharaya Gangaramaya is one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Colombo, started by the famous scholar monk Hikkaduwe Sri Sumangala Nayaka Thera in the late 19th Century.
After the Venerable Sri Sumangala, his chief pupil Devundera Sri Jinaratana Nayake Thera took on the administration of the temple. It was he who laid the foundation to convert the little temple to an institute of international reckoning.
The next chief incumbent was the Ven. Devundara Keerthi Sri Sumangala Jinaratana Vacissara Thera, the teacher of the Ven. Galboda Gnanissara, who worked to make the Gangaramaya what it is today: much more than a temple in the conventional term, but a place of worship, a seat of learning and a cultural centre.
Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya At Kelaniya, about 10km to the northeast of Colombo, in Sri Lanka, lays Kelani Rajamaha Viharaya, one of the most revered historic Buddhist temples of the orient. Set on the summit of a small mound lapped by the waters of the river Kelani, this beautiful shrine presents one of the most panoramic views ever offered to the tourist by this small island of ours, the pearl of the Indian Ocean. Among the many Buddhist temples of Sri Lanka, the Kelani Viharaya stands out as one of the most exquisite examples of the sculptor’s art. Its history runs back to more than 2500 years. In the days of yore, it always received full royal patronage, and to this day, it’s has been highly venerated by the people of the island. Its significance as a place of Buddhist worship is clearly evident in the island’s folklore. One such instance is the popular folk verse which when rendered into English would read as follows;
Mount Lavinia Beach Mount Lavinia Beach in Sri Lanka is a main sea-bathing spot in the island. Here, depending on season, the waves can be swimmable and it’s host to some amazing sunsets. It also recides in a city steeped with history. The city’s name is built up around the original residence of Sir Thomas Maitland who was the Governor General of Ceylon from 1805-1811. At a welcoming party held in his honour on his arrival in the island he set his eyes upon Lovina, a local mestizo dancer, whose father was the Headman of the troupe. It is said that Sir Thomas was smitten by her beautiful smile and charms and soon found himself obsessed by her and took every measure possible to see her more.
Colombo National Museum The Colombo Museum as it was called at the beginning was established on 1st January 1877. It founder was Sir William Henry Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at the time. The Royal Asiatic Society (CB) was instrumental in bringing to the notice of Gregory on his appointment as Governor in 1872 the need for a public museum with much difficulty the approval of the legislative council was obtained within a year. The Architect of the Public Works Department, J.G. Smither was able to prepare the plans for new structure on Italian architectural style. The construction was completed in 1876 and the Museum commenced it functions in the following year.
Viharamahadevi Park Viharamahadevi Park is a public park located in Cinnamon Gardens, Colombo, situated in front of the colonial-era Town Hall in Sri Lanka. It was built by the British colonial administration and is the oldest and largest park of Colombo.
Jami UL-Alfar Mosque Jami-Ul-Alfar Mosque Sinhala: කොලඹ කොටුව රතු පල්ලිය, romanized: Kolomba Kotuwa Rathu Palliya, Tamil: மஸ்ஜிதுல் ஜாமிஉல் அஃபார் அல்லது சம்மாங்கோடு பள்ளிவாசல், romanized: Sammankodu Pallivasal, (known colloquially as the Samman Kottu Palli, Rathu Palliya, Red Masjid or the Red Mosque) is a historic mosque in Colombo,
Independence Square Independence Square is in the prestigious Cinnamon Gardens district of Colombo where spacious tree-lined boulevards remain from colonial days and takes its name from the Independence Memorial Hall built there to commemorate the independence of Sri Lanka from British rule in 1948. The hall is an open-sided rectangle with ornately moulded cement columns and a tiled, hipped roof with statues of seated lions surrounding it, used for ceremonial occasions. In its basement is the Independence Memorial Museum.
Dutch Hospital Shopping Precinct The Old Colombo Dutch Hospital is considered to be the oldest building in the Colombo Fort area dating back to the Dutch colonial era in Sri Lanka. It is now a heritage building and a shopping and dining precinct.
Copyright © 2020 Designed by E House Technologies. All rights reserved.